Indian acid attack victims pose for fashion shoot

Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 by Tyler Durden in Labels:

Indian acid attack victims pose for fashion shoot

Young women who were the victims of acid attacks pose for a beautiful photoshoot. (L-R: L
Young women who were the victims of acid attacks pose for a beautiful photoshoot. (L-R: Laxmi, Rita, Rupa). Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
A YOUNG woman who was the victim of an acid attack in India has posed for a beautiful fashion shoot with fellow survivors, who are all wearing designs from her new clothing line.
Indian designer Rupa, along with her friends Rita, Sonam, Laxmi and Chanchal modelled the clothing from her new range, Rupa Designs for photographer Rahul Saharan. All five women are the victims of acid attacks, which are very common in India.
In 2008, Rupa suffered extensive injuries after her stepmother threw acid in her face while she was sleeping.
Rupa was allegedly left without any medical assistance for six hours before she was taken
Rupa was allegedly left without any medical assistance for six hours before she was taken to hospital. She underwent eleven operations and was in care for three months. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
“I always wanted to be a designer but after the attack there was a pause in my life,” the 22-year-old told the Daily Mail . “I was so insecure and embarrassed by my scars, I used to cover my face with a scarf,” she said.
“I always hung onto my dream but I never knew that one day it would be possible and I would be launching my own label.”
Rupa now works with the Stop Acid Attacks organisation, which helps survivors ease back into society.
The group have built a support centre, called Chhaon, where survivors stay while they receive medical assistance.
Rita and Laxmi share a laugh. Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Rita and Laxmi share a laugh. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
“Chhaon has helped me feel confident again and believe in myself,” Rupa said.
“I have always loved fashion and tailoring but I never thought I could start my own label. This is the first time I have presented my clothes and I am glad to see them being appreciated.”
Mr Saharan, 24, who did the photoshoot pro bono, says he has been overwhelmed by the girls’ bravery and the response to the shoot.
“This photo shoot is my tribute to all the brave women across the globe who have gone through this gruesome torture. I’m glad that I could do my part in supporting them,” he said.
Rupa and Rita. Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Rupa and Rita. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
Laxmi. Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Laxmi. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
Rita. Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Rita. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
Laxmi. Photo: Rahul Saharan.
Laxmi. Photo: Rahul Saharan. Source: Supplied
To support the women visit Stop Acid Attacks.
See all the photos on Rahul Saharan’s Facebook page.

0 comments :